In 1718 John Green received a grant of 500 acres, which was one of the earliest grants of land along the Black River.

John Green and his wife, Elizabeth, settled on Green's Creek and had six children. Green died in 1750 and by direction of his will the 500 acre tract was sold to James Coachman.

In 1756 Coachman sold the 500 acre tract to Susannah LaRoche Man widow of Dr. John Man.

John Man Taylor came into possession of Mansfield at age fifteen as a residuary legatee under his mother's will. At his death, at age 37, he left Mansfield to his sister, Anna Maria Taylor.

In 1836 Mary Taylor Lance married Dr. Francis Simons Parker of Charleston and the Hayes, Goose Creek. Dr. Parker was a graduate of the College of Charleston and first honor graduate of the Charleston Medical College, but soon learned that profits from rice planting were so great that he gave up practicing medicine. In 1840 he purchased Wedgefield Plantation from Samuel Wragg, but the next year he traded it to his mother-in-law for Mansfield and Greenwich.

In the spring of 1865, the Parker's were staying at Greenwich, just outside Georgetown, but a mob of slaves incited by federal troops forced the family out and destroyed the house by fire.

Mary Taylor never remarried and in 1868 signed a deed conveying Mansfield to her sons. The Parker boys operated Mansfield for several years at a profit but the years following the war were crowded with hardship and difficulty.

By 1912 Mansfield was no longer producing rice and at the death of their father, Arthur Middleton Parker, the heirs decided to sell Mansfield and break the 156 year chain of ownership.

Charles W. Tuttle of Auburn, New York was the new owner of Mansfield. Following the pattern of so many wealthy northerners who bought low country plantations.

In 1931 Tuttle sold Mansfield to Colonel Robert L. Montgomery and his wife Charlotte of Ardrossan, Pennsylvania.

After Mrs. Montgomery's death in 1970, her heirs sold Mansfield to Wilbur S. Smith of Columbia, SC who lovingly kept Mansfield from the fate of many plantations, the developer's dream. Wilbur also acquired adjoining land and brought Mansfield to its present size of just over 900 acres.

Sarah (Sally) Smith sold Mansfield to John Rutledge (Francis Simons' great-great grandson) and Sallie Middleton Parker in 2004 returning Mansfield once again to the Parker family after an absence of ninety-two years.


The Old Kitchen house was built separate
from the main house, in case of a fire.

Home | Our History | Bed & Breakfast | Special Occasions | News & Events | Photo Gallery | Education | Contact Us | Site Map | Gift Cards

© 2004–2023 Mansfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast. All Rights Reserved.
Use of this website is subject to certain terms of use which constitute a legal agreement between you and Mansfield Plantation.

Mansfield Plantation Bed & Breakfast | 1776 Mansfield Road | Georgetown, SC 29440 | 1-866-717-1776

site by namey design studios